Saturday, 10 April 2010

Finally happy Jane

Today I finished G8, it took me three tries as I didn’t want to deal with set-in seams so thought I would try and see if I could get an acceptable (to me) block using foundation paper piecing.  The block looked sort of OK

IMG_3652 IMG_3653

but I think it would have looked better if the seam lines had been more symmetrical, so on to the next try which was piecing the diamonds by hand, (there was a power cut so I didn’t really have a choice).  The diamonds didn’t meet too well at the centre so that was as far as I got with that  effort.

The last block I decided to follow the instructions for piecing eight-pointed stars in American Quilter magazine (March 2010 issue), worked like a charm, now all I had to do was the set-in seams on the triangles and squares, it seemed to take quite a while because it is awkward to do, but by the time I got to the last  couple it was easier.  The block is finished and I am happy with it.

IMG_3654 IMG_3651

This is my second post using Windows Live Writer, it’s a programme I can use on my PC to create blog posts, it means I can create my posts without logging into Blogger and it certainly makes loading photos much quicker, I’m still learning my way round it so you may notice a few odd things.  I have noticed that my post yesterday looks different on a bigger screen, on my laptop the photos are in two rows of 3 photos, on the bigger screen of the Mister’s PC there are two rows of 4 photos and 2 photos

4 comments:

  1. I like the shadow effect that is around the pictures - makes them look like they are mounted. Nice.

    Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. these dear jane blocks look to difficult for my liking - but i am very impressed with yours
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pip! Tricky looking blocks there! On my little laptop (7inch Eee pc) the red photos are single all the way down the post! Whenever I see my blog on a "real" computer I get such a shock cause it looks so different on my teeny tiny laptop. I love it though. (Hmm, is the comment moderation helping with the spammy comments? Jess has done the same thing for the same reason.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pip,
    This looks like a particularly tough block...I'll be on the lookout for the magazine instructions and hope to do half as well as you have done. Beautiful work!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)