Sunday, 14 March 2010

The next day......

The cucumbers/gherkins will be a slightly different colour, the colour of green olives, best describes it I think.


Into a largish pot, put the following:
  • 3 cups white vinegar,
  • 1 cup water,
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspooon powdered mustard
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (I used yellow ones)
  • 1 teaspoon whole allspice (also labelled as whole pimento)
  • 1 teaspoon powdered turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed

Bring these ingredients to the boil. Drain, but do not rinse your brine soaked gherkins/cucumbers, and add them to the hot syrup and bring to boiling point, then pack the gherkins/cucumbers into hot, sterilised jars and seal. I didn't actually measure the amount of gherkins I used, the original recipe calls for 4lb of cucumbers, which would be a bit less than 2kg.


the finished result (can you see my reflection?)


That wasn't all I did today, I also made some nectarine and ginger chutney. The recipe is in a previous post here this time I doubled the recipe and it took an extra five minutes cooking.


There is something very satisfying about looking into your cupboard and seeing jars of homemade preserves and pickles.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, the preserved supplies look great. I'm sure you will enjoy your bottled sunshine over winter. Our cats don't realise what they are missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm yum! and how nice that you will be able to enjoy them in winter ;-)
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)