Saturday, 20 March 2010

Lemon Yogurt Cake


This cake is rather a favourite of mine, the original recipe is here where incidentally there are a few other recipes as well. I have made a few changes to the recipe:


  • reduced the sugar to 1 and 1/4 cups
  • reduced the oil to 1/4 cup (I used olive oil)
  • added 3/4 cup buttermilk (I suppose you could add 3/4 cup extra yoghurt)
  • added 1/2 cup ground almonds and reduced the flour by 1/2 cup

I cook my cake in a 25cm round silicone cake pan, greased and base lined with baking paper, and the temperature I bake the cake at is 190C for 40 minutes.

Once the cake is removed from the oven, I leave it to cool for 10 minutes as it is very tender and fragile at this stage, then I carefully turn out onto a cake rack and leave to cool.

This time I used 3 limes instead of using lemons and I also made a syrup of lime juice and sugar and poured it over the cake while it was still hot.

My mother often makes the original recipe and she cooks the cake mixture in muffin pans and freezes them, so they can be taken out in the future for a quick and easy dessert.

Instead of whipped cream I have used strained yoghurt (line a sieve with muslin, place over a bowl, pour the yoghurt into the sieve and leave in the refrigerator overnight. All the whey drains out and you are left with a lovely thick yoghurt cheese which makes a very good low fat alternative for whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)