Saturday, 27 February 2010


Solanum melongena also known as eggplant, aubergine, melanzana or brinjal. The flower is quite attractive as are the fruits with their glossy, dark purple colouring. There are other varieties of eggplant with light purple, striped or cream colours, and even the shape can vary from a teardrop shape, an egg shape and a sausage shape.




The other day I was looking for an eggplant recipe which would be quick and not involve frying the eggplant, when this one caught my eye.

  • Steam cubes of eggplant (I used a large one, which took 10 minutes to steam)
  • Make a dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, caster sugar, crushed garlic and chilli paste. I used about 2 tbsp of the soy and vinegar, 1/4 tsp of the oil, a clove of garlic and sugar and chilli to taste, (I used Kikkoman soy sauce)
  • Once the eggplant is tender put into a bowl and pour over the dressing,
  • Scatter with finely sliced spring onions and roughly chopped coriander,
  • Serve chilled or at room temperature

I served it at room temperature after it had sat for about an hour. It was different, but nice. The eggplant absorbed all the flavours in the dressing and I found myself going back and sampling the left over eggplant. The Mister ate it but his comment was "it's all right" whereas I would be happy to eat it anytime.

2 comments:

  1. The flower looks like a fistful of one of your lovely fabrics blowing in the wind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olive, yes I thought that too, or it could be a ballerina's tutu.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)