Thursday, 28 January 2010

Mayonnaise

Every now and then I get the urge to make mayonnaise. I can still remember the first time I made it in 1974, using the recipe (which I followed faithfully) from my copy of Elizabeth David's book - French Provincial Cooking. The book is one of my favourites, after you read it you just want to dive in and start cooking.
At the beginning of the recipe she writes about;

"the pleasure and satisfaction to be obtained from sitting down quietly with bowl and spoon, eggs and oil, to the peaceful kitchen task of concocting the beautiful shining golden ointment which is mayonnaise".

So that is what I do, although I use a whisk instead of a spoon, and after about 10 minutes I am rewarded with a beautiful mayonnaise.

3 comments:

  1. I love Elizabeth David's books! They are so evocative. Makes me feel like I'm cooking with her in her kitchen. Your mayo looks delicious. (Handmade mayo makes me think of dinner at my Aunt's house in the summer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started making mayonaise only relatively recently. I was surprised by how easy it was. I was also a tad surprised by its oil content. But it does taste lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, Pip!
    Thanks also for the lamb recipe, we'll give it a try in the next week or two. We have an Italian exchange student arriving tomorrow for 10 days.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)