Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Pick me up



Tiramisu

I like Tiramisu, but I don't like the amount of fat that is in it, so I have been playing around with a lighter version and I think this ticks all the boxes.
You need:
500g low fat ricotta (fresh, not vacuum packed)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2-3 tablespoons castor sugar
Put the ricotta, vanilla essence and castor sugar in the food processor and whiz until it is relatively smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
Soak 1 gelatine leaf in cold water while you are making the custard. (this is optional)
Custard (made in the microwave):
1 tbsp (15ml) cornflour
2 tsp white sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
Put cornflour and sugar in a 1 litre measuring bowl/jug (microwave proof) add enough of the milk to blend to a smooth paste, then break in the egg, mix well and add the rest of the milk and the vanilla essence, mix again. Microwave on High for 5-6 minutes, stirring after 3, 4 and 5 minutes. It might look a bit curdled/lumpy but nothing a good stirring won't fix. Once the custard is cooked, squeeze the gelatine leaf and add it to the hot custard, stirring well. Cool the custard by sitting the bowl in a sink of cold water and stirring occasionally.
Once the custard has cooled, stir into the ricotta mixture. Now you can put the tiramisu together.
1 cup really strong, black coffee (might need more)
sponge biscuits (I used one packet of the Unibic brand, the smaller packet)
finely grated dark chocolate (only need about 20g)
Dip each sponge biscuit into the coffee, ensuring both sides are dipped, place in bowl (I like to use a square or rectangle shaped Tupperware type container, lined with freezer wrap)
Once the base is covered, spoon on half the ricotta/custard mixture, sprinkle with half the grated chocolate, then repeat the layering again, finishing off with grated chocolate.
Cover and refrigerate overnight (at least)
I have found that it is even better after sitting for two days, the sponge fingers have soaked up all the coffee. You can, of course add some alcohol to the coffee mixture if you like.
The reason I add a gelatine leaf is because I like to serve the tiramisu in squares rather than spoon it onto plates, by adding a gelatine leaf, everything holds together nicely.

1 comment:

  1. That is my absolute favourite dessert - I will try your recipe and hopefully thenI can eat the tiramisu withut the guilt ( iam sure that is what puts on the weight!) It looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)