Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Day 2 and a bit of washing


I learnt a few things while making this Advent Calendar, I used machine blanket stitch to applique all the numbers on the pockets, in hindsight it would have been better to do it by hand. It also would have been better to have had bigger numbers, the stitching kind of overpowers the fabric.

A while ago back in October, Lyn asked about where I got my labels. I ordered them from R Draper & Co a firm which is in Adelaide. I ordered 50 woven labels and they cost $38.50, from memory the labels arrived within two weeks.

I have been wanting to wash a couple of quilts for a while now but the weather hasn't really been warm enough to dry them quickly so today seemed like a good day to wash one. I was a bit apprehensive about it as I have used bamboo batting in them and I have read that a few quilters weren't totally happy with the results once they washed them.
The quilt has washed up well, there doesn't seem to be any bearding, and the batting has not clumped, (the backing fabric was the only fabric on this quilt that I prewashed before sewing the quilt) I washed the quilt in a cold water wash and used Martha Gardener's Wool Wash (1 cap full). Tomorrow I plan to wash the other quilt which is mainly dark fabrics so I'm hoping that there is no bearding once again.

2 comments:

  1. that is my kind of quilt. its beautiful love both the design and the colours. nice work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)