Tuesday, 18 August 2009

Apricot Cake


This is a useful dessert or cake to have with a cup of coffee, and only takes a few minutes to whip up.


It can be served warm or cold although I think it is nicer warm. I have also tried it with peaches and I have no doubt that plums would also be nice.


I haven't made it with fresh fruit but I think that it would work as well.


1 x 435g can apricot halves


75 g butter melted


1 egg


½ cup milk


¼ cup juice from canned apricots


¼ tsp almond essence


½ cup sugar


1 ½ cup self raising flour


Icing: ½ cup icing sugar 2-3 tsp lemon juice or apricot juice


¼ cup toasted, flaked or slivered almonds


Grease or line a large pan (I use a non-stick roasting pan 24cm x 35cm)


Preheat oven to 180C fan forced (or 190C no fan)


Drain the apricots, saving the juice. Measure the sugar and self raising flour into another bowl.


Melt butter, add the egg, milk and the ¼ cup of saved juice, and the almond essence, beat with a fork to combine.


Chop the apricots roughly and mix them into the liquids, then fold that into the sugar and self raising flour, mix together trying not to over mix. (mixture doesn't have to be smooth)


Spread the mixture into the pan (don't worry if it doesn't reach the edges) smooth it out a bit then arrange the remaining apricots over the top.


Bake for 15-30 minutes, (depending on the size of the pan and whether your oven has a fan or not) until the centre of the cake springs back when pressed in the centre.


While the cake is baking, make some icing by mixing the icing sugar and juice together to make a runny icing. Drizzle this over the hot cake, then sprinkle with the toasted, flaked or slivered almonds.


Dust with icing sugar before serving if desired.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! That sounds lovely! Golly gosh - wish I had a slice right now. :)

    How's your baking going for the show?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Recipe printed off and will try out this weekend.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy yummo - I love apricots and so do my dodgy innards. Will print this off sometime when Zebbycat is awake and less likely to be spooked by the printer.

    I know, I know - I'm a complete pussycat pushover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like MY kind of cake, anything with almonds, yummo !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, there wasn't supposed to be so many extra lines in this blog post.
    Olive - you could even put almonds into the cake dough as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)