Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Frugal food

On Friday while shopping at Central Market I saw chicken frames for $1.99 a kilo (chicken frames are the chicken bones after the butcher has taken most of the meat) so I got three, which cost me $1.95. When I got home I chucked them into my largest pot and covered them with water and brought it to the boil, then simmered for 45 minutes or so, I then took the bones out, and took all the bits of meat off, (on a cold day it was quite a pleasant job as I ended up with warm hands) I ended up with about 2 cups of chicken meat and a lot of chicken stock. I set the stock aside in a wide bowl to cool a little before putting in the fridge to cool overnight. In the morning I removed the by now solid chicken fat and set it aside, used some stock for the soup I was making and put the rest into containers to freeze.

The chicken meat was mixed into cold mashed potato, I added seasonings (salt, pepper, cinnamon, mixed spice and chopped parsley), one egg, a little grated cheese and mixed it all together. I then made patties from the mixture, rolled them through a beaten egg and then breadcrumbs and chilled for a while before pan frying them for about five minutes a side. I got eight good sized patties, we had them for tea on Sunday night with steamed green vegetables. We found that the cold, leftover patties were nicer than the hot ones.

Instead of making patties I could have used the chicken meat in soup made from the stock, or used it in a risotto. Still thinking what to do with the chicken fat, roasted potatoes are one of the things that have come to mind.

2 comments:

  1. The patties sound nice. I must look out for the chicken carcasses. This coming weekend I plan to make a Minestrone soup in my crock pot - can't hurt to have a chicken flavour base.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi pip. i did just that too this week gone. the organic frames, very cheap and great stock! i didnt use the meat however, the cat got ours, with vegetables! LAZY!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)