Sunday, 7 June 2009

Class 47 - Anzac Biscuits, plate of five


Anzac Biscuits
  • should snap when broken
  • deep golden colour
  • should be evenly mixed with no evidence of undissolved soda
  • even size and shape/not over size

At least that is what it says in the general guidelines for Cookery Exhibitors in the Cookery schedule for the Royal Adelaide Show.

Do you know how hard it is to get an Anzac biscuit that will snap when broken the next day? That is assuming they are not eaten on the first day. But I think I have cracked it so to speak, after making 3 batches of biscuits, I think the last batch (made yesterday, four biscuits left, no three now, I'm eating it) is just about right, I have a few issues with the sizing but I'm sure I can get that right this time.

In case you are wondering why I am blathering on about Anzac biscuits, I decided to enter the Cookery competition in the Royal Adelaide Show this year. There are a lot of choices to be made before entries close on Friday 3 July at 5.00 pm, but hopefully I will make the right ones long before then. Now, I'm off to make a batch of scones.






5 comments:

  1. How exciting! Put some of your quince paste in too... that would go really well. I haven't entered the cooking section of our show.. but lots of other sections.. have fun with it. Marilyn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip

    The Anzacs look yummbo. I like to make them too - they are quite easy but usually no two batches are quite the same. I modified the recipe and used dark brown sugar and treacle instead of white sugar and golden syrup. Lovely dark, rich biscuits.
    Best of luck at the show - its fun entering but a fiddle to get the goods there for judging etc.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Pip Go
    Hope things go well for you in the competition
    I used to go to the Adelaide Show at the time we lived there - exhibited the Burmese and Balinese cats I bred. Thats where I was the day Princess Di was killed - sad I know - but I also remember where I was the day President Kennedy was killed
    Good luck anyway, publish the recipe you use will you please
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very brave!

    Do you need any taste testers? I'm sure I'd be able to scoff..uh..taste a few biccies. :)

    Good luck at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marilyn,
    I'm planning to have fun with it, not sure if there will be any quince paste left by then.

    Joolz - yes, I'm thinking it will be a bit of a fiddle getting the goods there, it will be rush hour traffic :(

    Cathy, showing cats, now I think that would be hard (especially if it is like showing dogs) when I settle on a recipe I'll publish it.

    Vege Gnome,
    I'm sure we can arrange some testing down the track a bit.

    Pip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)