Tuesday, 12 May 2009

Words and pictures - fragrant

Words and Pictures this week is Fragrant.

This might be a boring post for some people it depends on how you look at it I guess. I would describe myself as a person that likes fragrant things, and I think I have a good sense of smell, although I have been known to avoid people if they smell bad (to me). I can tell if someone has been eating chocolate or nuts, or asparagus by smell, I can be walking along and smell rice cooking. I love walking near pine trees and the smell of lavender on a hot summer day and the smell of gum trees after rain.




I also looked in my dictionary, and found that fragrant is an adjective meaning smelling pleasant, then if I go to Roget's Thesaurus I can find plenty of other synonyms for fragrant like aromatic, odoriferous, odorous, perfumed, perfumy, redolent, sweet-scented, sweet-smelling, balmy, thuriferous, and muscadine. The last three words interest me as they are not words that I associate with smelling pleasant (actually I don't really know the last two), although I have heard of a thurible (which I assume is related to thuriferous).

balmy
Having the quality or fragrance of balm; soothing.
Mild and pleasant: a balmy breeze.
Chiefly British Slang. Eccentric in behavior as in barmy or balmy

thuriferous
Producing or bearing frankincense (which is aromatic), a thurible is a container containing incense which is swung on a chain during religious services.

muscadine
a fragrant, dull purplish grape that has a musky flavour and also a fragrant and delicious pear

Also you could break up the word fragrant and have two words:
  • frag - A fragmentation grenade
  • rant -To speak or write in a angry or violent manner; rave

which would have nothing whatsoever to do with fragrant apart from being two parts of one word.


For more words and pictures go here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)