Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Remember

Remember - 1978, enlisting in the RNZAF which meant leaving home for the first time, the long bus trip from Auckland to Wellington, then the ferry trip to Picton, recruit course in Woodbourne, the shock of having to keep everything so tidy all of the time, the rules, the washing and ironing of uniforms, spit polishing shoes and boots, marching, firing my rifle and then cleaning my rifle, the daily inspections (sometimes twice daily) did I mention all the rules, good times.




Remember - telecommunications course in Wigram, six months of learning, six months of daily typing on clunky teleprinters, smoking allowed in the classroom !!!!, pay night discos in the Airman's club, cheap alcohol (with hindsight I now know it was binge drinking), more rules, PT classes four times a week, Wednesday afternoon sports, exploring Christchurch, good times.





Posted by Picasa

This meme hosted by Pip of Meet me at Mikes click over for more reading on Remember

6 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a fun time.
    are you still so very tidy?
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm intigued too. Is the tidiness something you learnt? Or was it something you were happy to leave behind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an interesting chapter of your life! How about a few more on your early NZ days?
    Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to hear your stories too, what forces life was like.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pip

    Yeah, very interesting to get a glimpse of your earlier life. My daughter has a girlfriend who is doing a gap year in the Navy. She's 18 year old and she too has to spit polish her boots, turn out in full dress uniform, IRON her bedsheets on the bed so it is perfectly smooth, rifle training, marching etc.
    I think every young person could do with and should do a year in the forces. It might teach a few of them some good life lessons. I bet you still make your bed a certain way and keep your kit tidy.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...I bet you don't! I think you are very self sufficient and don't need OTHERS rules. You make your own..lol. So nice to see this post and learn this about you. Peoples stories are just so interesting. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)