Saturday, 18 April 2009

This is what I have been doing


I have been doing some free motion quilting on my quilt, I still have a long way to go before I can say that it is relatively easy to do but this link FAQ on FMMQ was quite helpful to read. I did a couple of practice squares before I started in for real. Apparently you are not supposed to cross over your stitching lines, but it is my quilt so I can. Things I found out:

  • it is quite addictive but also tiring so I stopped frequently to give my hands and back a rest.
  • it was easier to quilt on a big table to support the quilt.
  • don't try to go slow, go as fast as possible (you get better with practice)
  • when stopping slow down otherwise the needle makes a big, long stitch!!

Before I started the quilting, I cooked some pear halves in a syrup and then brushed them with some leftover spiced red-wine syrup and then popped them in the dehydrator for a few hours, they came out looking rather wizened but were delicious with some Greek yoghurt.


Because I got so carried away with the quilting I had to rustle up a quick meal so I made Chicken Sweetcorn soup: chopped chicken breast, sauteed with chopped garlic and ginger, pour on chicken stock (from a cube if you like, I used a tetra pack), a dash each of sesame oil and soy sauce, big pinch of chilli powder, and 1 can each of creamed corn and kernel corn. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Make a paste of one tablespoon cornflour with a little cold water, stir in and stir well, take off the heat and add 3 beaten eggs and stir well. Serve garnished with chopped spring onion and coriander, freshly ground black pepper. Easy peasy.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Pip

    I love dried fruit and your pears look yummo! So does that soup. You have been industrious.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try free motion quilting but I don't think I could get it running quite as smooth as yours....it's looking great!
    And those pears....delicious! Pear season is wonderful isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your free motion quilting looks great. i love the fact that you break the rules - as you said - it is your quilt!
    the pears look yummy.
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pears look fantastic! Glad you gave it a go and it worked out.

    Did you peel the pears?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne, you should try free motion quilting. It didn't start off smoothly, I had a couple of practice goes first, then just went for it. Put your foot on the pedal and go for it
    Pip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)