Saturday, 11 April 2009

Quince Paste



Yesterday I made Quince Paste, I've made it once before a long time ago and it didn't turn out how I thought it should have, (it was pale pink) I remember it as being a very long and tedious process. The recipe I used was from Elizabeth David's book French Provincial Cooking, and the recipe says to boil the paste in a preserving pan, ensuring you use a long-handled wooden spoon and to wrap your hand in a cloth because the boiling paste erupts and spits, and I remember that the paste spattering everywhere.

This time I tried a slow-cooker recipe, very simple, just put your washed, whole quince in the slow-cooker (mine took 5 large quince), put the lid on and cook on High for 2-3 hours, turning the fruit once or twice if possible. Turn off the cooker and leave the fruit to sit until cool enough to handle. Skin the fruit, and cut the now soft flesh off the cores. I put the flesh through my mouli (food mill) then measured it, I had 5 cups of puree so I added 5 cups of sugar, put it all back in the slow-cooker, stirred in the sugar, put the lid on, turned to High and cooked for 3 hours or so, and stirred occasionally. The last hour I took the lid off to allow some evaporation and stirred more frequently, until I judged it was ready. (when the spoon left a definite trail in the puree, which stayed there for about 5 minutes). I then scooped out the puree into a large, flat container which I had lined with baking paper and left it to set overnight. In the morning I put the paste in my dehydrator for about 4 hours, although I don't think this was really necessary.

The hardest part of making this was skinning the quince and putting it through the mouli, there was no worry about it sticking or burning, I think I could even have left it to cook overnight on Low and it would have been OK. The colour is nice and intense and it tastes good as well, but we don't have any cheese to have with it :(

10 comments:

  1. Oh I just love quince paste and yours looks divine. Its so expensive to buy, and that recipe looks so ease. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a very generous offer and I would love some. Thank you very much. I could email you my address if you could give me your email address :) Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. that quince paste looks divine....and leaving it to cook in the slow cooker sounds like a much better way to do it than getting splattered with boiling quince!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pip! Rush out and get some cheese! Your quince paste looks absolutely delicious. What a great idea using the slow cooker. My son has been telling me about all these great slow cooker recipes he has found on-line for me. This looks like another one!

    (I wasn't really put under pressure by your comment! I took it as a light hearted comment. I don't think anyone could put pressure on me, I do such a good job myself! I enjoyed your comment and wanted to acknowledge it in my post. Hope you weren't upset by the way I did that. I think of you as a good friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just picked 15 large quinces .... thanks so much for the slow cooker idea! Brilliant. Stay tuned on my blog for the results in a few days time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again, Pip. I want to put a link to your blog from my blog but I am not sure where you are.... I have them listed by country or state.... Would you mind telling me please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate,
    I'm in Adelaide, South Australia, I think its on my profile.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry.... how embarrassing! I didn't see your profile as it is right at the bottom of the side bar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous27/3/11 16:26

    Thank you for the great idea.
    I will line the cooker with silicone paper next time as some of the fruit "caught" I did have 3 kgs of fruit, however.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10/3/12 16:59

    Many thanks for the recipe - I've got my first batch in the slow cooker now. I don't have a mouli, but mashed the cooked quince and put it back into the slow cooker with the sugar. After about 15 minutes it was runny enough to put into the liquidizer and then back into the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete