Thursday, 5 February 2009

Scanning photos

As it has been a bit cooler, I thought I would scan some photos into the computer. We have quite a lot of pre-digital photos and I have been meaning to either have them scanned or do it myself. Quite a boring job scanning, I am so pleased I have a digital camera now, and although I have been able to "fix-up" some of the faults in these photos, they are still not very clear. (mainly the fault of the photographer - me) The two pictures are of the houses I lived in while I was posted to Sembawang in Singapore (when I served in the RNZAF)

A brick bungalow (aka Japanese house)

The brick bungalows were two bedroom houses, with three bathrooms (two up and one down) I was lucky and had an amah come three times a week to do the washing, ironing, cleaning etc. Apparently these houses were appropriated by the Japanese officers in World War 2. Off each bedroom there was a small "store-room", and I was told that these were actually where the comfort women for the Japanese officers were lived.

A black-and-white house

The black-and-white houses are still a distinctive element in Singapore's architectural heritage.
Click here for a slideshow of interior of a black-and-white house (although this is a very luxurious version of one, but you can see the layout and style of the architecture). The house I lived in was very modestly furnished. So what are B&W houses? They are old bungalow style houses dating as far back as 150 years, that are today owned by the government. They are quite open in design as originally there was no such thing as air-conditioning, and in fact most of the time I lived there I did not use air-con, there were no glass windows, just black wooden shutters that you could pull shut for privacy, most of the time they were left open to allow the breezes to flow through. A good design for a tropical area house. (There were security grilles on all of the windows) On the right hand side of the photo you can just see another building, this was the laundry, amah's quarters (if your amah lived in) and kebun's (gardener) store-room.


2 comments:

  1. yes i too have far too many photos i want to scan... maybe another day (i think that everytime lol) what big beautiful houses

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has been lucky to have stayed briefly in Singapore. The coins and the name of the telephone company at the time were familiar to us, this is in the late 90s now.

    I'll have to come back and take this all in when it cools down.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)