Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Pictures from Penang


We were out walking in Georgetown early one morning while on holiday in Penang, when we saw this lovely cat (in the picture above). The night before when we walked past this very spot, there was no cat there, instead there were piles of noodles, vegetables, etc all the things necessary for making Hokkien Mee or Char Kway Teow (I forget which now). I remember thinking, I'm glad we don't eat at that stall, but I suppose what you don't know doesn't hurt you, and I have seen far worse while on rambles around Penang and after you have been there a while you tend to close your eyes to that sort of thing.

The two guys in the picture below used to make roti for our morning snack, they got so used to us coming in they would just ask "Dua roti and kopi" (2 roti and coffee) and we would say "Terima Kasih" (thank you)


I have tried making roti here but it isn't quite the same and I can't get my dough stretched out as thin as they do, nor can I throw it in the air and twirl it around without making a horrible mess. Thinking about it now has made me think I might have another roti making attempt this weekend, maybe a curry as well.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, please have a go at roti again! I have tried a few times, but cannot duplicate the rotis I remember. I might have a go, too, as I absolutely love them. Love them hot and fresh off the griddle. They were my favourite weekend breakfast in Singapore. Getting hungry now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Penang in Malaysia? I went to West Kalimantan, Bali, and Papua in 2007 and loved it! Though maybe not all the food!
    We lived in remote villages and had alot of fun. I don't think I can remember Rotis though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie Gnome, yes I too love them when they are fresh and hot, I also used to love curry puffs for breakfast as well.
    MissyMack, Penang is an island off the west coast of Malaysia, Georgetown is the main city there, a sister city to Adelaide. Roti is a type of Indian flatbread, I never saw any when I visited Indonesia
    Pip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pip,

    Were you insinuating that the cat was sitting where food was prepared and sold or that the cat was IN the food that was prepared and sold??? Ha ha!

    - Joolz :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha Joolz, no I don't think that cat was on the menu there. I never heard of cat being eaten in Malaysia, although I know that dog is often on the menu in Bali. There are a lot of cats around in Malaysia, they help keep the rats under control.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)