Tuesday, 3 February 2009

The Conscious Cook

One of the books that I'm reading is The Conscious Cook. I've had this book for a while but have only had a bit of a skim through it. Not just a recipe book, (there are 51) there is also plenty of information to help you make more conscious and sustainable food choices. It's divided up into four parts:
  • Recipes
  • How what you eat affects you
  • How what you eat affects the world
  • What you can do about it

Some of the recipes that caught my eye were:

  • Kangaroo curry with roti
  • Lentil, potato and silverbeet curry
  • tofu with sesame
  • a recipe for paneer (a type of cheese - made with milk and lemon juice or vinegar)
  • broad beans with fetta
  • fried Turkish bread with guacamole

For starters I think I will try the tofu with sesame, as I already have the ingredients (except the tofu) We don't eat a lot of tofu, however one meal that we do eat when the weather is colder is: Tofu with spicy pork and mushroom sauce. I have served it successfully to people who have never eaten tofu before, they thought the tofu pieces were omelet and were quite surprised when I told them it was tofu.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book. I will have to hunt down a copy.

    Another great read is The Ethics of What We Eat by Peter Singer.

    But be warned it may turn you into a vegan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would pick out similar recipes. I had good luck with our first tofu recipe, my grown son didn't which is a shame.

    My uncle made a lemon cheese when I was a teenager, so I did a bit of research a few years ago to try to learn more about it. We ate it on bread and it was lovely.

    I love broad beans or fava beans.

    Turkish bread we love here. My favourite is burgers from the www.taste.com.au site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)