Friday, 30 January 2009

Cool cooking

Made our usual Friday trip to Central Market this morning, there didn't seem to be too many people about, so I had a very quick trip around the market for me (I could quite happily spend a few hours there browsing around), I guess the heat is keeping people indoors. The balsamic vinegar ran out last week and instead of replacing it with more of the imported product, I decided to buy local and got this Vinno Cotto


which, while not being balsamic vinegar has the sweet-sour flavour that I adore and when I tasted some it was hard to resist not having a spoonful. (I'm one of those strange people that like to drink a bit of vinegar every now and then :)

In anticipation of more hot days I have planned our meals so there is minimal cooking. This is what we'll be eating for the next week:
  • Oriental Crunchy Noodle Salad with shredded poached chicken
  • Potsticker dumplings with steamed vegetables
  • Nicoise salad
  • Greek salad
  • Singapore noodles
  • Cold rice paper rolls
  • Peanutty pasta salad with steamed chicken

There is plenty of leftover potential there (most important) and there will be sandwiches and salad rolls to fill the gaps.

Rose from Coastal Rose (in a comment on my previous post) suggested this take on a summer pasta:

"Cook pasta such as spag or tagliatelli. Meanwhile chop sufficient tomatoes, basil and red spanish onion to feed your crew. Drain the pasta, reserving maybe a tablespoon of the cooking water. Plop pasta back into saucepan, add tomatoes/basil/onion and a drizzle of good olive oil. Mix gently and serve into bowls. It's quite cool and refreshing but has a hint of warmth for a meal."

It sounds simple and easy, just the sort of meal that would be good in the heat, and will be another one to add to the hot weather repertoire, thanks Rose.

2 comments:

  1. My pleasure! Let me know how you go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look up a few of these recipes...I'm so running out of ideas and inspiration to cook in this weather.
    not that we are really working up an appetite either!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)