Sunday, 11 January 2009

Another Slow Saturday


I dug up the rest of the potato patch yesterday, and this was the crop. Overall I got about 2.5kg (I had dug up two other lots previously) they taste so much better than shop bought potatoes, even my DH (who happily eats whatever he is given) thinks they taste better. This year I think I will make potato cages and water the plants a bit more, and hopefully get a bigger crop.



I also made six jars of Zucchini Relish as well. I made a batch in November and it is nearly all gone. I haven't bought relish or chutney for over a year now, and I'm just using up the last jar of Nectarine and Ginger chutney that I made early last year, time to make some more. This year I'm planning to make tomato sauce, plum sauce and maybe a few jars of jam.


Zucchini Relish

1kg zucchini
750g onions
2 red peppers (capsicum)
¼ cup salt
1 litre (4 cups) water
1 tbsp mustard seed
2 tsp celery seed
1 ½ tsp turmeric
2 cups sugar
2 cups white or cider vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour

Grate zucchini, dice onions (I use the food processor for the onions). Put them in a large bowl (glass or ceramic, not metal) sprinkle with salt and mix well. Chop pepper finely and mix with zucchini and onion. Stand for half an hour, add the 1 litre of water and stir again. Pour through a large sieve or colander and leave to drip for about five minutes. Discard salty liquid. Measure the sugar, seeds, turmeric and vinegar into a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add drained vegetables and bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes stirring often. Mix cornflour to a paste with 2-3 tbsp cold water. Stir into relish and boil for 5 minutes longer. Pour into clean heated jars and seal with heated preserving jar seals, or boiled, lacquered metal lids. OR for relatively short term storage, cover with plastic screw-on lids, and refrigerate.

Makes about 7-8 cups


Talking about zucchini I found an interesting blog called Chocolate & Zucchini a couple of days ago and there was even a recipe for Chocolate and Zucchini cake which could be handy if you had a glut of zucchini.

I've also been spending a bit too much time reading a novel called Knitting by Anne Bartlett. It is not about knitting, more about relationships and is quite humorous.

1 comment:

  1. What's the recipe for nectarine
    and ginger chutney? We have a
    glut of peaches (which are
    really just nectarines in fur
    coats) so I imagine it would
    work for themas well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)