Monday, 17 November 2008

I haven't blogged or done much in the internet for a while as I've been busy trying to play catch up with a few things, in and around the house and garden. So now I need to catch up on a few blogs and see what's been happening. While I've been away I find that I have been given an award by the lovely Joolz, thanks so much for that. I'll do a blog post on that for later this week.

I've been wanting to make these for a while now and I did wonder what I would do with the yolks, apart from adding them to scrambled eggs. I vaguely recalled a recipe that I had filed somewhere, that had recipes for using up egg yolks, I hunted it out and made these Portugese Custard Tarts.



Portugese Custard Tarts

The tablespoon measure is 20ml (Australian) for this recipe

4 egg yolks
1/4 cup castor sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 cup cream
1/2 cup water
strip of lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla
1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry

Preheat the oven to 200C. Lightly butter a 12cup muffin tray. Place the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a medium pot and whisk until combined. Gradually whisk in the cream and water until smooth. Add the strip of lemon zest and stir over heat until the mixture comes to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately and remove the strip of zest. Stir in the vanilla.

Cut the pastry sheet in half. Stack the halves on top of each other and leave until thawed. Roll the pastry up tightly from the short side. Cut the log of pastry into 12 x 1cm rounds. Lay these rounds on a lightly floured board and roll each out to a 10cm round. Press the pastry into the muffin cups. Spoon the custard into the pastry cases. Bake for about 20 minutes - until the custard is dappled with brown spots. Eat the same day.
Makes 12

The recipe was from the NZ Listener back in May 2003, but was originally from the Australian Women's Weekly Great Casual Food. The sugar content from the original recipe has been halved.

My notes:

  • I found them really easy to make (and very easy to eat as well, well it does say, eat the same day)
  • I didn't have the full amount of cream so I used a bit of milk to rinse the cream bottle out, and addded that to the cream I had, then topped up with a bit more milk.
  • The custard doesn't actually take that long to make, so I think it would be more efficient to take the pastry from the freezer to thaw before you make the custard.
  • I had to cook them for 25 minutes (my oven is a bit slow)
  • I used patty pans to cook them in instead of muffin pans.

While they were in the oven baking I thought that it would be good if you could bake the friands at the same time, but the oven temperatures were too different. But you could make the friands first, and while they were baking get the tarts started ready to bake once the friands were finished. I would probably do this next time.

So now I have 4 egg whites,which is not enough for the recipe on Jenny's blog and I also don't have raspberries, so I might wait till I do my grocery shopping and get some frozen ones and try it later this week. Or I could make these tigrés

which are a type of friand. They have a small amount of finely chopped chocolate, which gives them a slightly tigerish look. But I don't have to make a decision just yet as egg whites are one of those things that will keep a while in the fridge (or you can freeze them) unlike egg yolks which really need to be used up quite quickly. On the other hand I just happen to have some dark chocolate in my pantry. Hmm, what to do.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)