Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Chocolate Wins



I succumbed, the chocolate won out. The tigrés were made in a jiffy, and now they are all gone.

Tigrés

140g butter
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 1/4 cups (135g) icing sugar
1/2 cup (60g) plain flour
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash almond essence
4 Tbsp (60g) finely chopped chocolate

Optional decoration:

2 tbsp chopped dark chocolate
2 tsp butter

Preheat the oven to 175C. Brush 9-10 oval, rectangular or round muffin-sized tins with melted butter. Melt the 140g of butter. In a large bowl combine the ground almonds, icing sugar and flour. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites just until foamy. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined. Gradually stir in the melted butter, then the vanilla and almond essences. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Spoon the batter into the tins and bake for about 20 minutes until the cakes spring back when pressed on top. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the tins and cooling on a rack.

If you want to decorate the cakes with a dab of chocolate, melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl set over hot water and stir until smooth. Put a dab on top of each cake. They will keep for several days.

Makes 9-10 cakes



My notes:

  • I weighed the dry ingredients except the almonds

  • The weighed, chopped, chocolate was way more than 4 Tbsp, I kept some back

  • I didn't bother with the chocolate decoration

  • my DH loved the leftover mixture in the bowl
While my mother and sister were here, I got them to knit some dishcloths for me, they are much faster knitters than I am, so in no time at all I had eleven new dishcloths. Plus Mum had brought over some cotton yarn that she wasn't going to use, so I don't think I will be running out of dishcloths any time soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm knitting some dishcloths for my daughter Amy, she moves out in Jan 09. Thought a few home made cloths would be fun for her.I use them myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)