Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Visitors


My mother and sister have been visiting, so I have hardly touched the computer while they have been here, (and suffered withdrawal rather badly) I meant to be really organised and have a few blog posts in draft ready to publish while they were here, but I ran out of time. That's life. Now I have to catch up on what everyone else in the blogosphere has been doing, and there have been a lot of busy people out there.

I can report that Lemon Buttermilk Puddings are just as nice when made with yoghurt instead of buttermilk and that I have transformed the Loquat Toffee into a Loquat Syrup. I'm not sure exactly how I will use it, but drizzling over ice-cream sounds rather nice and perhaps as a glaze brushed over an apple tart. I'm sure that I will think of other possibilities as time goes by.

This morning I had some rather squashy over-ripe bananas in the pantry so decided to make this muffin recipe, it is from an Alison Holst cookbook.

Gabrielle’s Banana Muffins

50g butter melted
¾ cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 and ½ cup mashed banana (3-4 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup plain flour
¾ cup wholemeal flour
½ cup bran
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
½ cup sultanas (optional)
Milk

Melt butter until liquid. Stir in the brown sugar and egg, mix well with a fork. Add the banana and vanilla essence and mix again.

In a fairly large bowl, measure all the dry ingredients in the order given. Add the walnuts and sultanas (if using), then mix everything together, tossing them lightly with a fork.

Add the banana mixture, all at once. Mix carefully into the dry mixture taking care not to over mix. All the flour should be dampened, but the mixture should not be too smooth. If the bananas were firm, 2-3 tablespoons of milk may be needed to get a normal muffin consistency.

Spoon the mixture into muffin tins which have been well buttered.

Bake at 200°C for about 20 minutes or until the centres spring back when pressed.
  • It makes 12 normal sized muffins (not Texas size)

  • I didn't have any bran so I used wheatgerm

  • they are really nice with bits of chocolate mixed in

  • I never bother measuring the bananas, just use what I have and add milk or yoghurt to make it moist enough


2 comments:

  1. love the lizards
    in the past i have used sour milk instead of buttermilk which i made by either adding lemon juice or vinegar (1 tsp per cup of milk). glad to hear that yoghurt works too!
    l
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip
    Thanks for stopping by my site. I have surprised myself by adding my Playlist, copying and pasting etc. I had tried once before but it got too hard then a couple of days ago, I thought..give it another go and 'voila'. The background was quite easy too but I still have to revamp my header because that looks a bit bland.
    My PC at home is very slow uploading pictures to blogger, sometimes 15 minutes per photo whereas my work PC does it in 1 minute. My home internet connection is dodgy even though it's meant to be broadband, it feels like dial-up a lot of the time and then it just drops out! Grr!
    Your recipes sound good - I';d make the banana muffins but I would be the only one to eat them! I do have some fresh blueberries (and white choc chips)at the moment so I'll mkae some of those
    this arvo. :)
    Happy blogging,

    Cheers - Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)