Saturday, 18 October 2008

Loquats and other mistakes

I acquired some loquats last night and remembered seeing a recipe for Loquat Jelly somewhere. I found the recipe in Maggie's Harvest by Maggie Beer. A very simple recipe, cook loquats in water for 15-20 minutes, drain off liquid, measure and add the same amount of sugar, and simmer till it reaches setting point. I simmered away and tested it, still too runny, simmered some more, tested again, still a bit runny, no wrinkling, more simmering, this time the test was a bit thicker but no wrinkling, so I put the plate in the fridge to cool for 30 sec or so, by the time I took it out, it was too late, I had .............


Loquat Toffee.

I still haven't thought about what I will do with it, maybe melt it down and use it as a glaze or a sauce.

I then started to make Lemon Buttermilk Puddings, all the ingredients were in the bowl, except the buttermilk, went to the fridge and got it out, then I looked more closely at the carton, it was MILK !!! What to do, yoghurt in the fridge, that's sour, so I used yoghurt and a bit of milk, and mixed it in, it still tasted the same. I won't know till tomorrow night if they were successful or not.

I think I will just watch some television for the rest of the night although knowing my luck so far today we will probably have a power cut.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found Maggie Beer's too.

    http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/recipes/Details/?Item=ArtclsLocutJel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry this is what I said first:

    I'm sorry to hear that. I found this recipe by Jackie French.

    Loquat jam
    This is most excellent
    1 kg loquats, seeds removed but not peeled
    200 ml water
    finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
    1 kg sugar
    Simmer fruit in water till soft. mash well or put it through the blender. add juice and rind and sugar; boil rapidly till a little sets on a cold saucer. Bottle and seal.

    http://www.jackiefrench.com/nov03.html

    I love the trees, but haven't tried making anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love loquats! They remind me of my grandparents!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)