Monday, 1 September 2008

Spring has sprung

Surprisingly for all the bad weather yesterday we only got 2mm of rain. Still it's not all bad, we received 20.5mm all up since Friday night. Last weekend when I was weeding, I noticed that the subsoil is still dry, so hopefully this rain will have soaked down deep. I didn't really get outside much during the weekend, just short trips to empty the compost bucket and have a quick look around and get grass for Cody (the cat). When the weather is grey, I don't seem to get as much enjoyment from being out in the garden.

I dyed my sheets last week, changed my mind about saving the dye water, instead I used half the dye for one batch and half for the next. It worked quite well and as you can see, I got quite a few toning shades, due I guess to the different types of fabric, and although I thought it was all 100% cotton, it looks as if some may not have been. The dye itself looked like exactly like drinking chocolate. They all came out a little blotchy, due I think to the fact that I was dyeing a large amount of fabric each time (2 sheets, 4 pillowcases). The second batch I agitated the machine as I added each item, but it didn't really make a lot of difference. Still I'm quite happy with how they turned out.
I started making some new seat covers for some director's chairs, so I'll be trying to finish them off this week. Yesterday I got a fair bit of quilting done, the trouble is once I start I don't want to stop. Years ago when I was in the Air Force and doing night shift, I used to spend all night quilting or doing craft,(when there was no work on that is). One of the other girls used to bring her ironing or her sewing machine. It was wonderful how much we could get done during the night shift and it helped stop us falling asleep.
I played around with my blog yesterday, and changed the colours around a little bit, and put labels on some posts, but I'm not quite sure if it works properly, or in fact how it works, I think if you click on the label at the end of the post, it takes you to all posts with that label. Could be useful for recipes I guess.
Edit: Yes, if you click on the label it will take you to all the posts with that label.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)