Sunday, 21 September 2008

Sort of a lazy day

I made this recipe last night, as we two are quite greedy (sometimes) I made double so we could have some tonight as well.

Timaru Lemon Ice-cream

1 cup cream 1/3 cup castor sugar
very finely grated zest of 1 large Meyer lemon
juice of 1 large Meyer lemon

Put sugar, zest and juice in a bowl, stir around a bit to dissolve the sugar. Add the cream then stir some more and taste to see if more sugar or lemon juice is needed, whisk until cream thickens but has not started to get stiff. Pour into 4 small ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and freeze till firm.

May be served with a lemon syrup made as follows:

Juice of 1 Meyer lemon, 1 tbsp water, 2 tbsp sugar

Put all in a small saucepan and heat gently until sugar dissolves, then simmer for a minute or two, to form a syrup. Set aside to cool.
This was a Lois Daish recipe from the NZ Listener.

My notes:
  • The small ramekins I use take 150ml of liquid (just over 1/2 cup)

  • I don't know what sort of lemon I used, it still tasted good.

  • I've used limes before instead of lemon (juice and zest of 3 limes)

  • Limoncello would probably be quite nice instead of the lemon syrup

Went for a longer walk this morning, it's lovely walking early, the air is nice and fresh and everything seems new somehow. Despite having a plan for today, I didn't seem to get much done, I spent a lot of time on my laptop fiddling around with Excel trying to do a template for an diary. I'm still working on it.


Didn't try on my summer clothes or take up trouser hems, maybe tomorrow. I spent a pleasant hour or so making a needle case/book and then pottered around the vege garden for a half hour, weeding, putting some mulch around and then watering.


1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how often our plans come adrift! Sewing a needle case and pottering in the garden sounds like a wonderful day! I got stuck in to some embroidery today. Much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)