Thursday, 18 September 2008

Rubbish and Recycling

A newspaper bag I use to line my bin (the 2l milk is to show how tall it is)



My rubbish bin and recycling bin (they slide under the kitchen bench)

from Ikea (Rationell range)


These are some of the things that we do (actually I decided we would do them and my DH complies) to reduce our rubbish:

  • we put a no junk mail sticker on our letter box
  • we started a compost bin
  • we reduced our newspaper subscription to Saturday and Sunday
  • before buying anything I check the packaging to see if it can be recycled
  • refused plastic bags, now I only use cloth bags
  • I re-use and wash the plastic bags that I already have, and I use the net bags that you can buy oranges in as bags for putting fresh produce in

When the South Australian government announced that SA would be plastic bag free (sort of) there were a lot of people complaining about how they would line their rubbish bins. Previously I had been using plastic bags, but was unhappy about it. I wanted an alternative so after a bit of searching I found this site here:

http://www.greengreengrocer.co.uk/

which is quite interesting to read and makes you realise how much more the SA government and retailers could do, to be totally plastic bag free.

There is a link on his site to a video that demonstrates how to make a newspaper bag, I have made quite a few now and they are really quite easy (they would make a good project for kids) except I don't use a string handle. I tried going without a liner but some of the rubbish tends to get stuck in the wheelie bin, so I now use these bags and they make a nice compact parcel to put in the bin. If I have wet rubbish (not often) I wrap it in newspaper first, things that are liable to get smelly (like prawn shells) go in the freezer and I put them in the rubbish the day the rubbish goes out to be collected.





4 comments:

  1. Nice work! Isn't ikea great for mad and handy gizmo's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your newspaper liner is brilliant! Anyone who has Ikea stuff in their kitchen is a genius as far as I am concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW - Ikea need to come to NZ - don't suppose your mum can sneak one in her bag to come back with her to NZ.

    That recycling box is just awesome!!!

    And thank you for the newspaper liner - I am on dial up so next time at library will have a look on their site.
    I like to line my bin - an dyes one of those who use plastic bags, but with a blog post like yours is helping people like me with firm blinkers on.

    Thanks heaps for sharing.

    Oh any chance to see some photos of the recycling rubbish bin opened out?

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea, about to become the latest change in our kitchen!

    Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)