Sunday, 28 September 2008

Lemons

I decided to make this Lemon Buttermilk pudding last night (recipe follows) and not being sure of what sort of lemons I had, thought I would find out about Meyer lemons. Meyer Lemons have a sweeter, less acidic flavour than the more common, Lisbon and Eureka Lemons. They also have a thinner skin which is a yellow/orange colour and are a rounder fruit than the Lisbon Meyer lemons were originally from China, and they’re thought to be a lemon/orange hybrid.
When I was a kid, I remember eating lemons whole like oranges. We had two lemon trees, a Lisbon and a Meyer, so I guess the ones that I ate were the Meyer, as they had the nicer skin and were sweeter.

I found this recipe in the NZ Listener, it is similar to Lemon Delicious Pudding, but is far better eaten cold than hot. They can be made up to two days ahead.

Lemon Buttermilk Pudding

400ml buttermilk
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
zest and juice of 4 Meyer lemons
1/4 cup flour
60g butter melted
3 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 175C, butter 8 ramekins and set aside.

In a bowl whisk the buttermilk, half the sugar, the egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, flour and butter. In another bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff. Fold a spoonful of beaten whites into the yolk mixture, then the remaining whites in 2 more additions. Divide among the ramekins (they will be really full) and place them in a roasting pan. Half fill the pan with warm water and bake for 25 minutes. Leave until cold. When ready to serve, put a spoonful of berry sauce in the centre of each one.

Serves 8

Berry Sauce:

raspberries (1 and a half punnets) or strawberries (1 punnet)

Squash the raspberries with a fork, or chop the strawberries into little pieces, dust with a little extra sugar. Set aside until needed.

My Notes:

  • My oven is a bit slow so I baked them at 180C for 30 mins, they were just starting to colour on the top.
  • I only had 3 lemons, and I don't know what type they were.
  • I filled the roasting pan with water once I had placed it in the oven (much safer)
  • We didn't bother having the berry sauce, because we didn't have any berries.

We were greedy pigs and had two while they were still warm last night. They were nice enough while warm, nothing special. But having just eaten a cold (chilled) one, I have to say that they are definitely best eaten cold

3 comments:

  1. I love lemon delicious! It is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon delicious also! I'm going to have to try this one as well, it sounds just divine!

    I meant to comment the other day on your furry visitor. Lovely to see....I hope their funky noises in the night aren't disturbing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, he left sometime in the evening, and having heard their funky noises before I am rather glad, as the tree was quite near our bedroom.
    Pip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)