Saturday, 9 August 2008

Pear Olive Oil Spice Cakes


It's a bitterly cold day today so what better way to spend it than baking.

I already had some bread rising, so decided to try this recipe from my stash. They were really quite easy to make:


Pear Olive Oil Spice Cakes

Makes 12 muffin size cakes

1 cup fruity olive oil 1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 to 2 and 1/2 cups roughly cubed pear (cored but skin left on)
2 cups flour 1 level tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground allspice 1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces

Preheat the oven to 160C fanforced.

Grease and flour 12 muffin tins or one 20cm spring-form cake tin.

Whisk together oil, sugar and eggs until thick.

Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl, pour in liquid ingredients and mix sell to combine.

Divide into prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out a little moist but clean.

Drizzle with caramel glaze to serve.

Caramel Glaze

40g butter 1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and heat gently until butter melts and the sugar has dissolved.

Boil for 2 minutes until mixture is syrupy. Glaze can be served hot or cold.

The recipe came from the NZ Listener and was by Julie Le Clerc

I actually got 16 cakes from this recipe, I used 6 larger muffin tins (I'm not sure if they are Texas size) and 8 normal size muffin tins. When I say normal size I mean the size that muffin tins used to be before they started super-sizing everything. I didn't bother flouring them as they are silicone.

The smaller ones took 15 minutes. I left the glaze to cool a bit before spreading it on. Now that it is cold it has set quite firmly. 2 pears were enough to make 2 cups chopped pear.

The bread has finished and now the kitchen is quite warm which is good because there is always a price to pay for baking and that is the cleaning up. My bread was a bit different than usual as I decreased the flour by 50g and the resulting dough was quite soft, sticky and harder to shape. The bread was still nice, with a more open crumb structure than it normally has. I also let the dough rise overnight in the fridge and I think it has more flavour due to the long slow rise.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/9/08 10:13

    These sound really nice. I must try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)