Friday, 1 August 2008

August

Last night we had 12.5mm rain, overall last month we had 87.5mm not counting the rain from last night, the average for Adelaide last July was 75mm, so at least we got more than the average. August is supposed to be another average month. My veges are growing quite slowly, I really should have planted them much earlier than I did. Next year I will. I am quite envious of people in warmer parts of the country who can grow all year round.

I'm making Chickpea and Leek soup today, it is a Jamie Oliver recipe which I have changed a little bit. We get a bunch of baby leeks for $2 (usually 4-5 leeks in the bunch) if I get full sized leeks it is too many for the 2 of us, some garlic, chick peas and 2 potatoes. I don't use the chicken stock I just use the water from cooking the chick peas. I have tried it with chicken stock (tetra pack or powder) but have decided to use chick pea water instead. It still tastes good and is finished off with a handful of parmesan and a splash of olive oil.

Parsnip soup for lunch tomorrow, I can get a bag of young parsnip from Central Market for $2, just trim both ends, give them a scrub and chop them up, sweat off in butter, add cumin, coriander and turmeric, some chicken stock and cook for about 20 minutes, whiz up with the stick blender, finish with lemon juice and about 1/4 cup of cream. I've tried using milk but it isn't the same, must try using evaporated skim milk next time.

I've made 2 lots of bread this week, I have a recipe I'm experimenting with, it involves mixing up some yeast, honey, water and flour and leaving to ferment/rise overnight and then adding to more flour, yeast, water and salt and mixing to a dought. I have been saving some of the fermented mixture and putting it in the fridge and then adding it to the next lot, I've been doing this for a month now and while it is not a true sourdough the bread has quite a nice flavour. Once it starts getting a little warmer, I will try and get a sourdough starter growing again.

It is another miserable day today, raining off and on, small hail and thunder, a good day to catch up on my reading, I have a stack of books from the library and have only managed to finish one. My aim this weekend will be to finish two more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)