Tuesday, 16 September 2008

A recipe cull

I've been going through my recipes, I usually clip recipes that I find interesting or that I think I might try, of course I hardly ever do!! I decided that I would go through them all and get rid of a lot of them. The ones I have kept are on a clip and as I make them, if they meet the following criteria:

  • taste good,
  • are easy and quick to put together and cook
  • not too many ingredients

I type them out and put them in a folder. I'm even doing that with my recipe books, as I have a couple of books that I only use 1 or 2 recipes from.

This is a recipe I made yesterday, previously I have blanched the pasta sheets, although the recipe doesn't tell you to, but I was running late so didn't do it and it worked fine, although I used more tomato puree (700ml instead of 500ml). It turned out well, and there was enough left for today. I also used silver beet from the garden instead of baby spinach and low fat ricotta. This is a really good recipe as you can make it up in advance and leave in the refrigerator until you want to cook it.

Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni

500g ricotta
150g baby spinach leaves chopped
2 tb roughly chopped basil
1 clove garlic crushed
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
3 Lasagne sheets
salt and fresh ground black pepper
500ml homemade or fresh tomato pasta sauce (sugo)
50g grated parmesan

Put ricotta in a bowl, and break up with a fork, mix in spinach, basil and garlic, then add seasonings. Cut each lasagne sheet in half and spread mixture down the centre of each sheet, then roll into a tube overlapping edges slightly. Spread a layer of tomato sauce over the base of a greased ovenproof dish (18cm x 25cm) place tubes (seam side down) in a single layer in the dish, pour over remaining sauce and sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 200°C

My notes:
  • I usually spread the mixture on the long side of the pasta sheet , so it is like a log, then roll up in one long tube, I then cut the tube into 3 pieces, that way it fits into my dish just right.
  • I have used two brands of pasta sheets, one comes in small sheets and the other in larger, both work well.
  • If I had more time I would probably make my own pasta.
  • It doesn't seem to affect the taste if you leave out the basil.

2 comments:

  1. Oh too yummy! This is one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pip!

    Thanks for your kind words about my bag. You sound sound so organised with your recipes! I'm still in collecting mode I guess. Just bought 2 new recipe books this week! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I'll try and reply in a timely manner, usually by email, if you are a no-reply commenter then I will reply directly to your comment which means you will have to come back to see it :)